Friday, April 24, 2009

Talking to the funeral director

If you plan to purchase a casket online, one of the most important things to remember when talking to the funeral director is to get an itemized list of the funeral expenses before you tell them that you will be supplying the casket. I knew that this was true when we planned my father's funeral. However, when we walked into the funeral home, the funeral director already knew that we would be supplying the casket. That gave him the opportunity to adjust his charges so that he would still make a large amount on the services. I guess that is the hard part about doing business in your hometown. I asked what his charges would be after he said, "I understand that you will be supplying your dad's casket." He said "Our charges for his services will be $4,000." Like an idiot I did not ask for an itemized list even though I knew that I should. My sisters and I were too distraught to pursue the issue. There were several things that we assumed were included in that charge which were not and several items that we would not have included if we had really gone through the charges line by line. The next time that I help plan a funeral, I will be more vigilant regarding these things.
Carol Fishback
support@cjsaffordablecaskets.com
cjsaffordablecaskets.com

No comments:

Post a Comment